Naturopathic Research at Sydney University
We have recently been contacted by a team of researchers from Sydney University to help put the word out about their current research projects. The team is currently seeking Australian naturopaths, herbalists and nutritionists to help investigate their natural medicine contribution within two studies:
- Exploring the contribution made by Australian Naturopaths to the management of individuals with medically diagnosed cardiovascular disease (CVD) and/or known risk factors *Naturopaths only* – To participate in this study, please contact Joanna Harnett to arrange a phone interview on 02 9351 7009 / firstname.lastname@example.org
- The rationale, practices and knowledge of Australian Naturopaths, Western Herbalists and Nutritionists associated with recommending gluten free diets – To participate in this study, please follow the link to survey below; http://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/3271175/Practices-of-Prescribing-Gluten-Free-Diets
This is an exciting opportunity for practitioners to have a voice in two national surveys! The results of these surveys will be published in academic journals as well as presented at relevant industry conferences. If you would like to make a contribution to the evidence base natural medicines component of this research, or require further information, please contact:
Dr. Joanna Harnett
P: 02 9351 7009
Are Compounded Nutritionals Suitable for Your Client?
Do you sometimes have trouble finding the perfect ready-made product for your patients? We compound many prescriptions for doctors, dentists, vets, naturopaths and nutritionists when they simply cannot find the right combination of ingredients, the right dose or the right form, or they want to avoid giving unnecessary excipients.
Some recent examples of nutritional compounding that we have made for naturopaths are:
Powder – we regularly make a combination of N Acetyl Cysteine, magnesium glycinate and ascorbic acid in a simple powder for adding to water for a patient who wants the convenience of only one product to take every morning. Her naturopath also wanted to avoid any colours or flavours as she is very sensitive.
Pyrrole formula suspension – a combination of zinc, vitamin E, magnesium, manganese, ascorbic acid and B vitamins in an unflavoured, naturally sweetened base to treat children with pyrroluria.
Topical magnesium “oil” – this is actually a solution of magnesium chloride in water so not really an oil at all, but it has the consistency of oil and is a popular topical application of magnesium.
Theanine and magnesium capsules for anxiety and stress (see information about Theanine below)
Please ask us if you would like more information about these products in particular or if you have any general enquiries about compounding;
P: 1300 882 303
Focus on Theanine
Theanine is a naturally occurring analogue of glutamate found in high quantities in black, green and white tea leaves of the camellia sinensis family. Theanine occurs in the highest concentration in matcha green tea where the leaves are deliberately shaded from sunlight during the last few weeks of maturation.
Studies on theanine at a dosage range of 50-400mg per day show that it;
- Has a direct effect on the brain as seen in EEG studies – theanine significantly increases activity in the alpha frequency band which indicates that it relaxes the mind without inducing drowsiness.
- Readily crosses the blood brain barrier where it has anxiolytic and calming effects due to its upregulation of the inhibitory neurotransmitter GABA
- Increases alpha wave generation so improves sleep quality in patients with ADHD
- Improves memory and attention in patients with mild cognitive impairment.
- Improves depression symptoms when added to existing medication in major depressive disorder
- Reduces some symptoms of schizophrenia when used in combination with anti-psychotics.
We have been compounding theanine for patients to help with sleep, anxiety and ADHD in the dose range of 50-250mg per day, although it has been studied at doses of up to 400mg. Theanine is available in ready made supplements, including:
- Metagenics Brahmi Tone (27.5mg per tablet, also includes Bacopa, Withania, Ginkgo, tyrosine)
- MedLab’s Mg Optima Relax (100mg per 5g dose, also includes Magnesium, l-glutamine, P5P and zinc).
Compounding of theanine may be useful if the ready-made supplements are not appropriate.
Please contact us if you would like to discuss how it could be helpful for your patients;
P: 1300 882 303
- Lardner A, 2014. Neurobiological effects of the green tea constituent theanine and its potential role in the treatment of psychiatric and neurodegenerative disorders, Nutr Neurosci.
- Nobre, A, 2008. L-theanine, a natural constituent in tea, and its effect on mental state, Asia Pac J Clin Nutr,
- Hidese, S, 2017. Effects of chronic l-theanine administration in patients with major depressive disorder: an open-label study. Acta Neuropsychiatr.
- Lyon M, 2011. The effects of L-theanine on objective sleep quality in boys with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD): a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical trial. Altern Med Rev.2011
- Kakuda T, 2011. Neuroprotective effects of theanine and its preventive effects on cognitive dysfunction, Pharmacol Res.
Sydney’s Mould Outbreak
Following heavy rainfall in Sydney during March and April, the National Asthma Council Australia issued a warning to Australians about the potential of mould growth and the health issues associated with exposure to mould. Sydney Immunologist and Allergist Professor Sheryl Van Nunen also spoke on ABC radio about the matter; “our recent rain, high humidity and warm temperatures provide excellent conditions for the growth and spread of toxic mould that can be damaging to health.” Various news publications followed suit to raise awareness to potential mould outbreak, which has already begun affecting various homes in many Sydney areas.
It’s no surprise that mould; a toxin, poses threat to our health and wellbeing. What is surprising is how common it is, which is mostly due to the fact that mould can grow in as little as 24 hours. During periods of heavy rainfall, it’s no surprise that we want to close the doors and windows to prevent ourselves and our homes from getting wet! Unfortunately, this innate reaction comes at a cost – it creates the perfect environment for the growth of bacteria and toxins, like mould.
Symptoms of mould toxicology are quite broad, however they usually present in patients as a collective;
- Coughing, wheezing, shortness of breath
- Sinus congestion
- Fatigue, weakness
- Difficulty concentrating
- Vertigo, light-headedness
- Nausea, vomiting
The Crux of the Issue: Mycotoxins
These nasty toxins are highly damaging to cells and have been linked to causing cancer. The type of mould exposed, determines the type of mycotoxins you need to deal with. Ochratoxin A is a common mycotoxin associated with the mould species Aspergillus ochraceus. Ochratoxin A is highly damaging to the kidneys and is known to cause genetic mutations as a result of oxidation during metabolism.
What can you do for a client with mould toxicology?
- A potent antioxidant
- Heightens the body’s activity of natural killer cells
- Supports liver function and elimination of metabolic by-products from within the body
- Plays a regulatory role within the immune system; specific to antibactericidal proteins
- Modulates immune function
- Acts as the body’s innate first line of defense against bacteria, viruses and other pathogens
- Potent antifungal, antibacterial and antiviral that stimulated the immune system and encourages doxification!
- Raw garlic is best
- Highly antibacterial and immune-boosting
- Has been shown to effectively clear and obliterate moulds and fungi
- Air can contain mould and mould spores, so it’s bet to advise your client to either completely vacate the mould-infested area and/ or utilise an air purification system to prevent continual experience of symptoms.
Avoid “Fungal” Foods:
- Alcohol, wheat, sugar, peanuts, yeast, hard cheeses
- These fuel fungal growth, so elimination allows the starvation of mould within the body
- Sticking to a simple diet of lean, organic protein, loads of fresh vegetables and vegetable juices and filtered water, will support a mould-cleansing programme and encourage an alkaline state within the body, which fungi doesn’t like either!
Antova et al, 2008. Exposure to indoor mould and children’s respiratory health in the PATY study, BMJ Journals
Billings K & Billings LA, 2007. Mold: The War Within, Partners Publishing
Corvalis O, 2009. Key feature of immune system survived in humans, other primates for 60 million years, Oregon State University, https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2009-08/osu-kfo081809.php
Koskinen et al, 1999. The relationship between moisture or mould observations in houses and the state of health of their occupants, European Respiratory Journal
National Research Council, Division on Engineering, 2005. Implementing Health-Protective Features and practices in Buildings: Workshop Proceedings, The National Academies Press, Washington DC.
Platt et al, 1989. Damp housing, mould growth, and symptomatic health state, BMJ Journals
Patterson R, 2010. Toxicology of Micotoxins, Pub Med https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/20358681/
Singh et al, 2000. Individual and combined effects of berberine and santonin on spore germination of some fungi, Folia Microbiologica 46: 137 https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2FBF02873592?LI=true
Tischer et al, 2013. Glutathione S-transferase P1, early exposure to mouold in relation to respiratory and allergic health outcomes in children from six birth cohorts. A meta-analysis, Allergy https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23330922
What’s New in the World of Natural Medicine?
MediHerb GIT Regenex
- Offers support and protection of the gastrointestinal tract, that facilitates gentle repair.
- Indicated for IBS, inflammation, dysbiosis, heartburn and reflux and dyspepsia.
- A soothing combination of Glutamine, Acacia gum, Slippery Elm, deglycyrrhizinated Licorice and Zinc Carnosine.
- Low reactive formula, in powder form for convenient dosing.
- New vegan-friendly formula; “plant sourced vegan Vitashine Vitamin D3”
- Contains 3.3mg of Retinol acetate
- Glucose and lactose free
- Chewable tablets with a great flavour
MediHerb Stealth Complex
- Antiviral, antiparasitic, depurative formula
- Contains Sweet Wormwood and Sarsaparilla in convenient tablet form
- Helps break down stealthy, persistent organisms
- Well-researched herbal medicine known to act directly on biofilms, which are often the problem behind stealthy conditions.
What’s Natural Script All About?
Registered but still a little unsure of who we are and what we do? Let us tell you and show you! We’re proud of our service and would love for you to feel comfortable and confident to fully utilise all that Natural Script has to offer.
- Provides you with a fully managed dispensary service – You prescribe; we supply and deliver. Simply upload your script and we’ll arrange payment and shipment with your client to ensure they begin their treatment plan promptly.
- Saves you money! – We know how expensive it is to set up a clinic dispensary. We also understand how different each and every client can be – it’s impossible to predict which supplements you should keep on hand to suit all clients individual needs. Natural Script helps prevent those up-front costs and saves you from having to deal with expired stock too!
- Provides accountability – Natural Script can also be used as a note-taking system within your clinic. Forget writing down customer details and storing them in manilla folders, or saving them as word documents on your hard drive – Natural Script can be used and accessed anywhere you have an internet connection. Your client’s information is safely stored, all in the one place.
We would be happy to visit your Sydney clinic to give you a run through and give you the opportunity to ask any burning questions. We also offer this service via Skype, or equivalent if you’re located outside of Sydney. Please call us on 1300 882 303 or email at email@example.com if you have any questions, or if you would like to book us in to step you through our system.